Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fabulous Fire

I recently learned how to make Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches. It involves sautéing onions and peppers in mustard, and toasting rolls under the broiler. As I was performing such tasks I was talking to my mom on the phone. My hubby overheard pieces of the conversation and came in to ask some clarifying questions. He was sidetracked however, by an oven mitt. The distracting oven mitt was sitting right behind me on the counter minding its own, and blazing away. 4 inch flames, I was oblivious to, prevented the clarifying questions from leaving my hubby’s mouth. What did leave his mouth, “Did I just hear you say OH MY GOD THE OVEN MITTS ON FIRE!!!!” prompted only a slow turn around and confused look, until of course I saw what he was referring to. He quickly grabbed the mitt and threw it out back onto the porch. I threw him is water bottle and he doused the flames. Out of breath and over excited we came back inside. I thought to myself “what’s that smell, like something is burning… ” then it occurred to me… THE ROLLS! I ran to the oven and opened it to find, you guessed it, more fabulous flames; again, no less than 4 inches high. I pulled them out of the oven and blew them out like candles on a birthday cake, which to my surprise worked fabulously! I then walked to the back door and flung them out with the charred oven mitt. The dogs wouldn’t touch them. I am now down an oven mitt and a dinner. Fabulous!